AND IMPROVED DIRECTORY NOW AVAILABLE!
Most guides to colleges don't index schools by farming
opportunities, so here's The New Farm's preliminary
guide to farms on campus. The list is arranged regionally;
each entry includes the name of the farm, year founded, acres
in cultivation, primary markets, and web address if available.
We've focused here on campus farms that provide substantial,
hands-on, small-scale farming experience to undergraduate
and graduate students; many also offer programs for children
and the general public.
For more information on courses and degree programs in sustainable
farming, see the USDA's Educational and Training Opportunities
in Sustainable Agriculture (http://www.nal.usda.gov/afsic/AFSIC_pubs/edtr.htm),
regularly updated by the folks at the Alternative Farming
Systems Information Center (AFSIC).
Know of a student farm program
not on this list? Have a story to tell about
your experience working on a student farm? Tell
us about it!
interns at the Cook College Organic Farm, Rutgers U.,
NJ (left to right): Cheryl Zienkiewicz,
senior, majoring in nutrition; Lindsay Bockstedt, graduate,
majored in public health; Pete Martinez, graduate, majored
in journalism & English; Scott Latham, senior, majoring
in natural resources. Although Cook College has an agriculture
major, interns at the student farm come from many different
- Beech Hill Farm, College of the Atlantic,
Bar Harbor, ME. Est. 1999, 5 ac, dining hall, farmstand.
- Black Bear Food Guild at Rogers Farm,
University of Maine--Orono, Orono, ME. Est. 1994, 3 ac,
sales via CSA, farmstand, farmers market. www.umaine.edu/pse/sag/BBFG/BBFG.html
- The Hampshire College Agricultural Studies Farm
Center, Amherst, MA. Est. late 1970s, 15 ac, CSA,
- Dartmouth College Organic Farm, Hanover,
NH. Est. 1996, 2 ac, farmstand. http://webster.dartmouth.edu/~opo/organicfarm
- Campus-Community Farm, University of
New Hampshire, Durham, NH. Est. 2003, 2 ac, dining halls.
- Cook Student Organic Farm, Rutgers University,
New Brunswick, NJ. Est. 1993, 3 ac, CSA. http://aesop.rutgers.edu/~njuep/csof
- Dilmun Hill, Cornell University Student
Farm, Ithaca, NY. Est. 1996, 4 ac, CSA, farmstand. www.hort.cornell.edu/dilmun
- Poughkeepsie Farm Project, Vassar College,
Poughkeepsie, NY. Est. 1999, 6 ac, CSA. www.farmproject.org
- Delaware Valley College Student Farm,
- Center for Sustainability, Pennsylvania
State University, State College, PA. Est. 1995, 8.5 ac.
- Robert A. Macoskey Center for Sustainable Systems
Education and Research, Slippery Rock University,
Slippery Rock, PA. 83-ac site, farmers market, dining hall
- Fulton Farm, Wilson College, Chambersburg,
PA. Est. 1994, 6 ac, CSA, dining hall, farmers market, restaurants.
- Bennington College Community Farm, Bennington,
VT. Est. 1996, dining halls, local community. www.bennington.edu/life/working_living
- Green Mountain College Organic Farm,
Poultney, VT. Est. 1997, CSA, dining hall, farmers market,
- Slow the Plow, Middlebury College's Organic Garden,
Middlebury, VT. Est. 2001, 1 ac, dining hall. http://segue.middlebury.edu/sites/mcog
- Sterling College Farm, Sterling College,
Craftsbury Common, VT. Est. 1958, 3/4 ac + acreage for livestock,
dining hall, farmers market. www.sterlingcollege.edu/sustainable.htm
- Common Ground Student-Run Educational Farm,
University of Vermont, Burlington, VT. Est. 1995, 3 ac,
CSA, donations to local food aid projects. www.uvm.edu/~cgsref
- Berry College Animal Sciences Student Work Program,
Mount Berry, GA. Est. 1902, 740 ac. http://www2.berry.edu/academics/science/ans/work.asp
- Berea College Farms, Berea, KY. Est.
1855, 480 ac, CSA, dining halls. http://www.berea.edu/anr/collegefarms.asp
- Center for Environmental Farming Systems Student
Farm, North Carolina State University, Goldsboro,
NC. Est. 1994, 15 ac on 2000-ac CEFS site, CSA, farmstand.
- The Land Lab at the Sustainable Farming Program,
Central Carolina Community College, Pittsboro, NC. Est.
1995, 1.5 acres, year-round production for CSA, local markets.
- Warren Wilson College Garden and College Farm,
Asheville, NC. Est. 1894, 5-ac garden, 275-ac farm, dining
halls, local markets. www.warren-wilson.edu/work/
- Calhoun Field Laboratory Sustainable Farming Project,
Clemson University, Clemson, SC. Est. 2000, 15 ac, farmers
market, CSA. www.clemson.edu/scg/sust/calhounfieldlab_main.html
- Agriculture Club Beef Farm, Ferrum College,
Ferrum, VA. 80 ac. www.ferrum.edu/agri/beef_farm.htm
Students at Michigan State University
in East Lansing picking cabbages.
- Miller Farm, Earlham College, Richmond,
IN. Est. 1970s; 2 ac, CSA. www.earlham.edu/~farm
- ISU Student Organic Farm, Iowa State
University, Ames, IA. Est. 1996, 2 ac, CSA, FM, wholesale,
All-Iowa Meals at the ISU Scheman Center. www.agron.iastate.edu/studentfarm
- Maharishi Vedic Organic Agriculture Institute,
Maharishi University of Management, Fairfield, IA. Est.
2000, 7 ac, dining hall, restaurants, retail stores. www.mvoai.org
- MSU Student Organic Farm, Michigan State
University, East Lansing, MI. Est. 2003, CSA. www.msuorganicfarm.com/
- Student Farm, Carleton College, Northfield,
- STOGROW Farm (St. Olaf Garden Research
and Organic Works Farm), St. Olaf College, Northfield, MN.
Est. 2005, 1 1/2 ac, on-campus cafeteria. www.stolaf.edu/orgs/stogrow/
- Cornercopia, the Student Organic Farm,
University of Minnesota--Twin Cities, St.
Paul, MN. Est. 2004, 1 ac, farmers' market, restaurants,
coops, local schools. http://www.misa.umn.edu/
- College of the Ozarks, Point Lookout,
MO. Value-added retail. www.cofo.edu/products.asp?page=9
- Oberlin Sustainable Agriculture Project,
Oberlin College, Oberlin, OH. Est. 1995, CSA, farmers market,
- Wilmington College Academic Farms, Wilmington,
- Sustainable Lawrence University Garden (SLUG),
Lawrence University, Appleton, WI. Est. 2005, 1/4 ac, cafeteria,
farmers' market. www.lawrence.edu/dept/environmental_studies/garden/
- Sustainable Agriculture Field School,
Northland College, Ashland, WI. Est. 2003. www.northland.edu/info/stories/sustainable_ag.html
- F.H. King Students of Sustainable Agriculture
demonstration garden, University of Wisconsin--Madison,
Madison, WI. Est. 2005, food pantries. http://fhking.rso.wisc.edu/
fields, New Mexico State, in spring 2003.
Students (left to right) are Ben Prihoda, majoring in
Hotel, Restaurant, and Tourism Management; Dayna Drollinger,
majoring in Horticulture; and Joaquin Gallegos, majoring
in Anthropology. Standing is OASIS co-instructor and associate
professor in Horticulture Chistopher S. Cramer, (photo
courtesy of Connie Falk).
- Wolfberry Farm, Prescott College, Prescott,
AZ. Est. 1996, 30 ac, CSA. www.prescott.edu/highlights/farm.htmlf
- Butte College Farm, Oroville, CA. 85
ac, 16 ac certified organic.
- John T. Lyle Center for Regenerative Studies,
California State Polytechnic University--Pomona, Pomona,
CA. Est. 1994, 16 ac. www.csupomona.edu/~crs
- Cal Poly Organic Farm, California State
Polytechnic University--San Luis Obispo, San Luis Obispo,
CA., Est. 1989, 10 ac total, 3 ac certified organic, 7 ac
in transition, CSA, wholesale, farmers' market. www.calpoly.edu/~sarc/farm.htm
- Swanton Pacific Ranch, California State
Polytechnic University--San Luis Obispo, San Luis Obispo,
CA. Est. 1987, 3200 ac. www.spranch.org
- Agricultural Research and Teaching Center,
California State University--Chico, Chico, CA. 1050 ac.
- Sustainable Agriculture Farm, College
of the Redwoods, Shively, CA. Est. 2001, 38 certified acres,
CSA, farmers' markets, restaurants, grocery stores.
- The Ranch, the Farm, the Garden, Deep
Springs College, Deep Springs, CA. Est. 1917, 300 head cattle,
152 ac hayfields, 2-ac garden, dining hall, wholesale. www.deepsprings.edu/labor
- Arcata Educational Farm, Humboldt State
University, Arcata, CA. Est. 1993, 2 ac, CSA, farmers market.
- Biodynamic Garden, Rudolf Steiner College,
Fair Oaks, CA. Est. 1984, 2 ac, CSA. http://www.steinercollege.edu/biodynamics.html
- Ecological Agriculture Center at Robert Shone
Farm, Santa Rosa Junior College, Santa Rosa, CA.
Est. 1999, 4 ac certified on 365-ac site, farmstand, wholesale,
Culinary Training Program. www.santarosa.edu/ag
- Stanford University Community Farm, Stanford,
CA. Est. 1997, 1 ac. www.stanford.edu/group/scfarm/
- The Center for Agroecology & Sustainable Food
Systems, University of California--Santa Cruz,
CA. Est. 1967, 27 ac, CSA, farmstand. http://zzyx.ucsc.edu/casfs
- University of California--Davis Student Experimental
Farm, Davis, CA. Est. 1977, 20 ac, CSA. www.studentfarm.ucdavis.edu
- Colorado State University Student Organic Garden
and Market, Fort Collins, CO. Est. 1998, 1/4 ac,
farmstand, foodbank donations. http://www.studentgarden.colostate.edu/
- University of Idaho Student Organic Farm,
Moscow, ID. In development. http://stuorgs.uidaho.edu/~soilstewards/
- University of Montana PEAS Farm, Missoula,
MT. Est. 1997, 6.5 ac, CSA, food bank. www.umt.edu/evst/peas
- OASIS (Organic Agriculture Students Inspiring
Sustainability), New Mexico State University, Las
Cruces, NM. Est. 2002, 1 ac, CSA. http://agecon.nmsu.edu/oasis/
- Organic Growers Club Farm, Oregon State
University, Corvalis, OR. Est. 2001, 1.5 ac. http://cropandsoil.oregonstate.edu/organic_grower/
- The Evergreen State College Organic Farm,
Olympia, WA. 1 ac, campus restaurant, farmstand, foodbank
- WSU Organic Farm at Tukey Horticulture Orchard,
Washington State University, Pullman, WA. Est. 2004, 3 ac,
CSA, dining services, other university programs.
- Outback Farms & Outdoor Experiential Learning
Site, Fairhaven College of Western Washington University,
Bellingham, WA. Est. 1970s, 5+ ac. www.ac.wwu.edu/~fhc/academic/outback.html
- University of British Columbia, Vancouver,
Canada. Est. 2000, 4-ac garden, 90-ac farm, farmers' market,
restaurants, food co-op, CSA, special events. www.landfood.ubc.ca/ubcfarm/