| MORGAN, Minnesota, Aug. 3,
2005: Agriculture Secretary Mike Johanns today announced
additional listening sessions that will be part of the nationwide
farm bill listening tour in Pennsylvania, Indiana and Wyoming. The
public is invited to attend the forums to offer comments on farm bill
Johanns and USDA officials will host the following Farm Bill Forums:
- Aug. 11, 11:30 a.m. - 2:30 p.m. (CDT), Iowa State Fair, Des
Moines, Iowa-Secretary Mike Johanns
- Aug. 12, 1:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m. (PDT), Fresno County Fairgrounds,
Fresno, Calif.-Secretary Mike Johanns
- Aug. 16, 9:00 a.m. - 12 noon (EDT), Penn State University's
Ag Progress Days, University Park, Penn. - Secretary Mike Johanns
- Aug. 17, 4:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m. (MDT) Jackson Hole, Wyo. - Under
Secretary Mark Rey
- Aug. 18, 4:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m. (CDT), Indianapolis, Ind. - Deputy
Secretary Chuck Conner
When participating in the forums, the USDA encourages public participants
to address one of the following questions.
- How should farm policy address any unintended consequences and
ensure that such consequences do not discourage new farmers and
the next generation of farmers from entering production agriculture?
- How should farm policy be designed to maximize U.S. competitiveness
and our country's ability to effectively compete in global markets?
- How should farm policy be designed to effectively and fairly
distribute assistance to producers?
- How can farm policy best achieve conservation and environmental
- How can Federal rural and farm programs provide effective assistance
in rural areas?
- How should agricultural product development, marketing and research-related
issues be addressed in the next farm bill?
Comments can also be submitted via the USDA Farm Bill Forums website
Forums that will be held across the country. The dates, locations
and times of the forums will continue to be announced as they are
scheduled and posted on the USDA website.