| MORGAN, Minnesota,
Aug. 3, 2005: Agriculture Secretary Mike Johanns
today announced additional listening sessions that will
be part of the nationwide farm bill listening tour in
Pennsylvania, Indiana and Wyoming. The public is invited
to attend the forums to offer comments on farm bill policy.
Johanns and USDA officials will host the following
Farm Bill Forums:
- Aug. 11, 11:30 a.m. - 2:30 p.m. (CDT), Iowa State
Fair, Des Moines, Iowa-Secretary Mike Johanns
- Aug. 12, 1:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m. (PDT), Fresno County
Fairgrounds, Fresno, Calif.-Secretary Mike Johanns
- Aug. 16, 9:00 a.m. - 12 noon (EDT), Penn State University's
Ag Progress Days, University Park, Penn. - Secretary
- Aug. 17, 4:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m. (MDT) Jackson Hole,
Wyo. - Under Secretary Mark Rey
- Aug. 18, 4:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m. (CDT), Indianapolis,
Ind. - Deputy Secretary Chuck Conner
When participating in the forums, the USDA encourages
public participants to address one of the following
- How should farm policy address any unintended consequences
and ensure that such consequences do not discourage
new farmers and the next generation of farmers from
entering production agriculture?
- How should farm policy be designed to maximize U.S.
competitiveness and our country's ability to effectively
compete in global markets?
- How should farm policy be designed to effectively
and fairly distribute assistance to producers?
- How can farm policy best achieve conservation and
- How can Federal rural and farm programs provide
effective assistance in rural areas?
- How should agricultural product development, marketing
and research-related issues be addressed in the next
Comments can also be submitted via the USDA Farm Bill
Forums website at http://www.usda.gov/farmbill.
Forums that will be held across the country. The dates,
locations and times of the forums will continue to be
announced as they are scheduled and posted on the USDA