The Rodale Institute®, located in Kutztown, Pennsylvania, is
seeking qualified candidates for the full-time position of Director
of Communications. Reporting to the CEO, the Director of Communications
will manage all communications activities, including press, online
strategies and publications. In addition, the director will serve
as part of the senior management team that helps develop strategic
direction and marketing.
About The Rodale Institute
Founded by J. I. Rodale and continuing under the leadership of
the Rodale family, The Rodale Institute is a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt
organization as defined by the IRS. It is committed to helping people
worldwide to achieve a regenerative food system that renews environmental
and human health with the philosophy that "Healthy Soil = Healthy
Food = Healthy People.” Weaving resilient connections between
soil, farming, food, personal health and community vitality has
been the central thrust of The Rodale Institute for more than three
generations. To achieve its goals of finding solutions to major
health and environmental problems, The Rodale Institute carries
out a uniquely integrated program of agricultural research, on-farm
demonstration, on- and off-site training, and global communication
through print and web-based media.
- Oversee and develop responsive and versatile communications,
marketing and representation materials as well as services including
website, online marketing tools, brochures and the annual report.
- Oversee all media strategies and contacts, including preparation
of talking points for interviews and identifying key target audiences.
- Oversee all aspects of the website, and all other online strategies.
- Collaborate with development efforts to better position The
Rodale Institute (TRI) among potential donors.
- Develop and manage brand identity, including name, tag line
and graphics, assuring consistency throughout the organization.
- Prepare or edit speeches, articles, testimony and other communications
pieces for the CEO, and review of same for other senior managers,
as requested by the CEO. This would include preparing op-eds and
other editorial products to position TRI as a center of excellence
and leadership in its field.
- Advise the CEO and senior staff on communications and other
issues as appropriate.
- Oversee the production of all video, audio and multimedia efforts
in coordination with program staff.
- Manage outside consultants.
- Strategic thinker with the ability to analyze complicated issues
and act on tight deadlines.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- 5-7 years of public relations or media experience.
- Knowledge of government affairs.
- Management experience.
- Experience in writing speeches, statements and talking points
under tight deadlines.
- Knowledge of new media, including familiarity with online strategies,
website design, software development and video/audio production.
- Experience in the business end of publishing, including budgeting,
design, layout, printing, marketing and distribution—both
online and offline.
Send resume, cover letter
requirements before September 21 to:
The Rodale Institute
611 Siegfriedale Road
Kutztown, PA 19530